Well, it's been some time since I've been able to post on the house comings-along.
Let's see . . . it's been 6 months since we've been in the house and we STILL have boxes to unpack, curtains to hang, many many walls to fill (if only I could find our hammer), ..... and so it goes.
I'm afraid grandiose dreams of cozifying and personalizing a house into a home just can't be done quickly when you have only 1 hour to yourself a day before it's time to hit the hay (I wake up at 5:30am and we typically get home at 6pm), and weekends are interrupted by annoying tasks such as groceries-and-who-knows-what.
But it is coming together - slowly, but nevertheless is limping along! I just wish I had the time to try new things. I'm certainly more bold than I was a few years ago in our old home. Perhaps it's the red of the house inspiring me. : )
Unfortunately, in 6 months we have been struggling to get our builder, Kai Yu, to come back out and finish (or re-finish) some of the outstanding items. It's been frustrating to say the least, not to mention disappointing.
But speaking of rework, I figured I'd show a little of what we've been up to in Jacob's room. Each of the kids' rooms does seem to be a tad smaller than their former rooms and/or with less storage. So that is something I'm still trying to figure out - how I can set up the kids to have a play area outside of their rooms and reduce some of the clutter.
Jacob has been loving to draw lately, so I decided this time we would make an entire wall of his a chalkboard (temporarily forgetting that chalk tends to be a little messy). He helped me decide on the wall where his door is, and I chose a green paint colour - thinking this would be like the old-fashioned classroom boards.
And I recruited a few helpers as well. : ) They really liked giving it a shot.
|getting a little silly with the paint|
Well, I finished up the job using the entire can and barely getting 2 coats on the wall.
But - there was something not quite right about it.
I asked Brian for his opinion.
When he said it looked like the same green I had used to make Jacob's and Mady's checkerboard in their nursery, I knew it had to change. My affinity to green got me into trouble!
So I went back to the store for a new can and came home with good ol' black chalkboard paint.
And of course, my helpers were back for a little more:
And here is Jacob giving it a test run about 2 days after drying: (drawing ninjas - of course!)